CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 289

Yesterday's Body Jam class with Anthony was AWESOME-AWESOME-AWESOME! I'm really starting to look forward to my Wednesday night dances... it's been a long while since I feel so happy and carefree to dance. For some reason, can pick up his cues easily... love it when instructors make us peasant students feel like we actually have talent in dancing, but actually it's them giving the cues right on the dot so that we naturally move into the next step.

I think I'm extra happy because for ONCE I wasn't soooo kekok during the Waters of March Latin performance track. I've always liked the song, but for some reason, can't really catch the steps. During his class, suddenly it seemed so easy. Of course, I'm no expert, but better than before lah. Now I'm hoping that I get to do this track again soon! Sigh... new release is coming out. As always, I semi-dread it in case it sucks and we have to do those songs for 1 month... then I won't be able to do stuff I wanna do, like Waters of March now, ahhaha.

Even the This Ain't Sex recovery track which is sooooo difficult for me suddenly came to me in a moment of inspiration (it's the drop and heel move, and you're switching from side to side). Seriously, I couldn't do this at ALL previously. I don't think that I'm perfect now, cos it looks cooler if you keep your legs closer together for the drop, but I can only do those quick steps if I stand with feet slightly further apart. Hmm... my own style, kuakuakua.

For the final performance track, did an old song - the Ring the Alarm / Put Your Hands Up For Detroit / What Goes Around Comes Around release. Super energetic! I love doing the 5 step run + toe / heel / jump + hip roll + step & drop + turn thingy... ahhh.. see!!?!? I've been playing that choreo through my mind all day. :D

Anyway, here's a video of Waters of March. I'm liking this song so much that I even Wikipedia-ed it. Apparently it's voted as Brazil's all-time favorite song by journalists and other pop stars in the country. The original is in Portuguese and translated to English by the original song writer (Jobim). The funny thing about the translation is that in Portuguese, it's known as "The Rains of March" and in Brazil, it means the end of summer and the beginning of the cold season. So in Portuguese, it's the end of something. However, translated to English, the waters of March indicates the melting of winter snow, so it becomes a song about hope instead, about new beginnings instead of an end of something.

Also funny is that if you read the lyrics, it is just words tumbling one after another - a series of images, a so-called "stream of conciousness". The songwriter was just basically naming things that he feels / sees during the rainy season of March in Brazil.

That's all I have to say for now... for once talk soooo much about a song instead of exercise. Hahaha!


0 comments: