CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Day 78

Oh my God... a bad day to start my RPM re-introduction. Reason? Find out more...

Yup, finally found a "good" day to start RPM again (David's class). :) Decided on today because I had PT (I usually have PT on weekends only) and I need the cardio workout anyway before pumping iron (ceh, macamlah sounds so great. :P). Also, I would miss Dance Mania, but I reckoned it's ok because I will still get my DM fix this Saturday (clear all schedules! must dance!).

Right... so I stepped into the RPM studio... my first RPM class in TF. Studio looks nice, with lots of bikes. Reminded me on why I hardly went for RPM back in Consplant. The bikes are lined up at the side, and there are limited number. They tried to "solve" the logistics problem by making people sign in for the classes 15 minutes before the class starts, but strangely, there were cases where we have pass but no bikes too... wonder why? -___- We = me and my friends who retold their sad stories to me as well.

Okay, so the studio was quite impressive... had a bit of trouble adjusting the bike and no kind gentleman rush to my rescue. *sob* Later, had trouble with the gears as well! During the warm-up track, I was wondering how the heck is it physically possible for those people to be cycling until their legs were a blur when I was finding it DAMN DAMN difficult to even cycle quickly, what more macam Speedy Gonzales. You see, unlike in FF where the Spinners have a gear like your normal bike, the adjuster for the ones in TF is like a dial. You have to keep turning anti-clockwise for less resistance, and turn right for more. Kind of an intuitive thing la. I didn't know! I thought just adjust a bit, then resistance will go down. Instead you have to give one full turn at least!

So I really suffered for the first 20 minutes of the class lor. What a bad way to begin my class right? I really should have dragged in an RPM-regular and make him/her teach me everything first!

Despite that, there were still 2 tracks that I really really liked. One is a song which has sounds something like "Pick Me Up". That one had a really good beat to it. The 2nd one is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit - now that one I really liked cycling to. Also found out I really like cycling standing up much better than cycling sitting down. Fuuh! But when I imagine that I'm cycling up a really steep hill, I really start to *feel* the pain! (Actually, if I *was* cycling up a steep hill, what I'd do is get down and push the bicycle la.)

Cool down was a joy... don't know whether it's because of the music or because finally it was all over!

I'm gonna give RPM a 2nd chance... cos it deserves it! This time I know how to adjust the resistance properly. Hehe. Also because I'm a kiasu gymrat and when I see other people moving painlessly through the 50 minute ordeal, then I too must attain such stamina!

But I'm really glad I didn't vomit at the end of the class, hehehe. How did I feel? Well, how I'd feel after having a hard object between my legs for 50 relentless minutes. SORE. ;)

The reason why it's bad for me to start RPM reintroduction today. ...
Cos today's PT session was Fat Burn workout. Wtf. So more and more cardio after that.
A crazy total of 45 minutes on the crosstrainer!
Followed by 15 minutes on the threadmill. First 5 minutes at 5% gradient, then 10%
3 sets of abduction (40lb, 30lb, 30lb for 20 reps each)
3 sets of adduction (as above)
2 sets of torso rotation (12.5kg, 10kg for 15 reps, each side)

That's it! Actually, there was more ... supposed to have Cardio Wave and more CYCLING but full 1 hr was up and instructor asked me to do by myself. So I went back lor. Hehehe. Crazy ar... I think the RPM class made up for the rest of it. -___- Honestly --- I don't think my legs can do anymore repetitive cyclic motions ... hope I can still walk tomorrow because I'm going to go to Jaya33.

Oh ya, I watched a really nice movie while doing my entire cardio workout. Damn funny and sweet... it's called Aquamarine. It's a teen sorta chick flick la. Anyway, the guy in it is quite hot... hehehe. Too bad he's like 4 years younger than me. T_T Check out Jake McDorman here...



And the nice consultant is back from Pavilion. Nice seeing him tonight! Also collected my PLATINUM membership card. Hehehe. I have a red eye today! If I knew he was gonna be taking my picture tonight, I'd have collected it another day (I didn't know the card would be ready). Anyway, when he took my picture, another member was there, and I whined a little that it was gonna be awful cos of my red eye. Of coz, as front desk staff goes, he was nice and said, "No no, looks good. NIce smile." Then the other member said, "Sure or not?" and she went behind the counter and looked also. Alamak! She had an unreadable expression (somewhat doubtful) but said, "Yes yes... a cute picture." -____________- Sigh. One red eye and wet hair does not a good picture make.

Anyway yalah, I'm blogging about more random stuff than my actual workout. Very sleepy. TTYL! :)

2 comments:

myCoffee said...

Good for you! Finally gave RPM another try! But it's kinda funny to read about your experience.
Sorry, should have told you that it's important to tell the instructor that you are new and needs help (with seating adjustment and riding positions). The best time to do this is to come earlier for the class so that the instructor can give you one-to-one briefing. It is important to be clear about it than "tembak" your own (so to speak) because you will be assured that you can have an effective workout the right way. It's very easy to fall into the 3 traps below in RPM:
1. Unsuitable riding positions may lead to uncomfortable riding, and potential sports injury.
2. Over-worked (RPM is not only all about giving your best during the "working" tracks but also taking the necessary slow-downs during the recovery tracks/periods).
3. Under-worked. If you don't challenge yourself during RPM, there's no difference between attending RPM than cycling leisurely on a stationary bike.
About the "soreness", it might mean your seating position is not right. I encountered that during my first few classes but later when I let myself be taught the right seat adjustments and correct riding positions, I no longer have such problem. Also, it is normal to feel soreness in the thighs or calf muscles a day after a RPM workout (but i never encountered any...heehee), but soreness or tightness anywhere else (e.g., joints or lower back or even wrist/elbow) implies wrong riding position.
If you get all the riding positions right, RPM is actually a lower-impact and joint-friendly cardio workout as compared to classes like BS, BC and BA.
HTH!

ps: Hope you don't mind me linking your blog to mine on Sweet Talks.

Leech The Leceh said...

Hahaha... no worries, I would think I'm strange and funny too if I was an RPM regular! Super got conned with the resistance dial in TF. :P

I did raise my hand to show that I was a newbie! But the studio a bit cacat, got a pillar right in the middle of the studio, so the trainer's face totally got blocked out. Then as usual, there's those people who are regulars but love to raise their hands to say that they are newbies? Ya, trying to get the instructor's attention. @_@ Sorry la, damn pet peeve of mine to see regulars say that they are newbies...

Yeah.... I was not totally comfortable with the position... but maybe due to my short legs and also not so sure on what the correct position is like. Suddenly one regular came in late and took the bike next to mine... so then I tried to copy him, see when he adjusts his resistance, how his arm positions are like, etc. Seriously, I tell you , some of the people in my class are TOTALLY overworking themselves! Even when slow song (recovery) they are still cycling like a hamster running on the wheel! Damn gila!

Btw, you are super knowledgable on gym stuff la! Maybe you should start a separate gym blog too.. hehe. I'll link you on my main blog (this blog no one reads much one...) Thanks for linking me ya! :)